My name is Melissa Green. For the seven years before starting the Bachelor of Education program at Thompson Rivers University, I worked as the Associate Director of Sorrento Centre, a Retreat and Conference Centre on the Shuswap Lake in British Columbia. In this role, I had the honour of overseeing programming for ages 0-92 while creating opportunities for learning, growth, experiences, and engagement in topics of interest and relevancy. I supported a staff team of between 25 and 50 members (changed seasonally) and engaged in the daily management and training of staff. I had the opportunity to support young people in their first summer jobs and did my best to provide them an experience that may transform whom they see themselves as and who they are in the world. I was provided the experience of supporting Sorrento Centre through two significant transitions as the Interim Executive Director, a role I was mentored and supported into by people who believed in what they saw within me. My experience at Sorrento Centre has given me a perspective of intergenerational learning and programming as well as a hands-on experience of management, visioning, reporting, human resources, and health and safety. All of these skills and experiences will transfer into my abilities as a teacher and what I will bring to the institution.

I have a Bachelor of General Studies in English and Sociology and am now pursuing a Bachelor of Education
degree. While I loved my work at Sorrento Centre, and it has had a role in shaping who I have become, I have missed working hands-on with children and youth and, as a result, have gone back to my childhood dream of teaching.

Photo: Anglian Journal

I am deeply connected with the Anglican Church, locally, provincially, and nationally. This work has provided me the opportunity to both travel and engage in committee work. I have participated in the visioning, reconciliation, and governance work of the Anglican Church of Canada for the previous twelve years. The opportunities this work has provided me with have equipped me to be able to speak publicly, work with all ages, reflect and present, work with people of varying abilities and backgrounds, and work with others. Teaching involves working collaboratively and engaging in a significant amount of communication and public speaking – these skills have been fostered within me because of my experiences in the Anglican Church.

I come from a large family with seven younger brothers and sisters. These relationships have formed and shaped me. They hold a significant role in the formation of my teaching practices and philosophies. I have been “teaching” my siblings since my brother started to learn how to read. Today I am still teaching them, with my youngest brother in high school and a sister in post-secondary school I am the one who is called upon to provide academic support. From my relationship with my family I also know firsthand how trauma can change a family and how love and support can see a child rise through that trauma. This is something I carry with me into all situations where I am working with children and youth and is something that I will bring into my teaching.

Some of the roles that bring me the greatest joy and honour are being an aunt, godmother, and family friend.

I have been privileged to have people entrust their children to my care; these children, whether they are my nephews and niece, my godchildren, or my friend’s children, have transformed my life and taught me more than they will ever know. They are a gift! My favourite activities with the young people in my life including baking, crafting, exploring, reading, wondering, and hiking.

I love being in nature and take every moment I can to enter into the forests to be amongst the trees and the gurgling creeks. I hike and camp and venture down paths not yet familiar. I slow down, pause, and breathe deeply – finding myself centered and inspired.

Life has been and continues to be an adventure – one I look forward to sharing with each student I have the privilege of meeting.