Open Centres is a significant part of Kindergarten learning and exploration. My classroom is filled with many options: lego, puzzles, board games, light table, reading nook, magnetic blocks, kitchen/house centre, wooden blocks, cup stacking, painting, items to promote imaginative play, play dough, and seasonal options. I’d like to highlight two centres I brought to the classroom experience during my practicum:

Writing Centre
I created a writing centre stocked with writing utensils, postcards, cards, envelopes, notepads, “stamps,” battery operated candles, writing prompts, and word lists. It was a beautiful surprise to see how much the students wanted to spend time at this centre. They wrote notes for their family and friends, created lists, and made cards for special days. Some of the students with the lowest writing skills spent the most time at this centre, it was wonderful to see their engagement and growth in their confidence.

Craft/Maker Bin
I filled a container with craft supplies: tape, glue, paper, stickers, ribbon, yarn, recycling, tissue paper, cups, wooden sticks, googly eyes, pipe cleaners, and so much more. This bin had no rules other than the expectation that we share and are kind to one another. Beyond that students had freedom for creativity.

Pictures from other centres