Flipping Burgers
“Philosophy Response”
Question: “What are the virtues of a good mentor?”

I believe that a good mentor can transform an individual’s professional, academic, or personal life, depending on the defined areas of a mentor-mentee relationship. Strong mentors are regularly practicing reflection in their own life, have superb listening and observation skills, supports a mentee in reflecting on their experiences, and has a passion for the common topic that has brought the relationship together. An influential mentor has the goal of supporting a mentee in their growth and confidence. For this, the mentor must have strong self-confidence to allow room for differences of opinion and also to allow a mentee to possibly grow beyond what the mentor may have experienced in their life. The relationship should be grounded in respect, communication, trust, and encouragement.

This case study showed an unhealthy mentee-mentor relationship that did not allow the new teacher a place to discover growth and to share in the goals of learning. The mentor, the veteran teacher, was also uninterested and unwilling to engage in a place of learning in the relationship.

As a new teacher, a healthy mentor-mentee relationship could have the benefit of transforming my life as a teacher. Finding mentors who connects with me and is willing to engage in the relationship from a place of encouragement while also being opening to learning something themselves is an important step for every new teacher. I also believe this is an important piece for students to engage in, being mentored and also mentoring.

Blurred Reflections
“Sociology Response”

Question: “Why do you think reflective journaling has become a cornerstone in the socialization of teachers into the teaching profession?”

I believe that one of the significant ways of growth and development, in teaching and other areas of life, is through the practice of reflective journaling. For myself, reflective journaling looks like I am taking the time to write down my experiences, questions, successes, failures, frustrations, observations, wonderings, and hopes.

I think that this practice has become a cornerstone in the socialization of teachers because it is a helpful tool for learning and growth. As a Teacher Candidate, I am learning every day through lectures, projects, readings, and conversations. Through practicum, I am learning in yet another way – with many experiences taking place each hour in the classroom. With so much information, observations, conversations, and experiences, being taught and equipped to participate in reflective journaling is giving me a tool to document and process my experience while also providing the opportunity for growth and development. Furthermore, these experiences are not limited to my teacher training, but I believe they will be the story of every day of my teaching career. I will always be unpacking a conversation, wondering how to support my students further, asking big questions, and trying to discover new ways of doing things that might connect with my students more clearly. I believe that it is essential for me as a teacher to be continuously reflecting and processing and to be checking in with my values, priorities, and beliefs – while also being prepared to notice shifts or changes. Reflective journaling is a place for me to acknowledge what has taken place and, at times, let things go, at least for a bit.

A Stitch in Time
“Implications for Practice”

Question: “How will you create a classroom culture in which parents and students feel that they can talk to you about their safety concerns?”

I believe that creating a classroom culture of respect, trust, and open communication is crucial to the success of a classroom and the success of each individual at the school. I want not only for my students to be successful academically and socially but also for them to know that my classroom is one where they can bring up any concern they have, specifically safety concerns. I want each student to see that they have the right to be in my classroom and feel safe every day. It is also important to me that students and parents know that I will do everything I can to support them, keep them safe and help to create a safe atmosphere for every person who walks through the door.

Creating this space does not come without intentional work. I would begin with regular communication with families – open communication about what we are doing in class both academically and socially. With my students in the class, I would be intentional about modeling ways of communication that are kind and respectful and engage in active listening with my students. I would not just model this, but I would also teach it: how to give constructive feedback, how to receive constructive feedback, what to do when big emotions are taking over, how to thank one another, how to apologize, and how to actively listen.

I will strive to make a connection with each student and their family in hopes that those connections will lead to a conversation and that conversations will help to create a relationship that is built on trust and respect. When there are trust and respect, I believe that the doors of communication about concerns are opened.